Friday, February 24, 2012

Is there a cheap flights site that doesn't require I enter dates of the trip?

I'm wanting to find cheap flights from my home city. It doesn't matter when I go.Is there a cheap flights site that doesn't require I enter dates of the trip?
You can try http://www.airfarewatchdog.com. You just type in your departure city and it will give you a list of places that the airlines are having a fare sale to.



Otherwise you can find out when low peak travel time is for that destination. If you travel during low peak travel time, then tickets will generally be less expensive.
What you want is called a fare calendar. They're surprisingly hard to find.



ITA Software's web site lets you search for the cheapest fares to any of a list of cities you give it over a period of a month, so you can look a month at a time. There's also some sites like Sky Scanner which let you look for everything between two countries in a given month.



If you go to my airinfo.travel site, click on Route and Schedule Services and scroll down to Fare searches and comparisons where I list a bunch of sites that somewhat do what you want.Is there a cheap flights site that doesn't require I enter dates of the trip?
No, because when you want to fly can affect your ticket price a lot. Any website that gives you a price without asking you for dates is probably unreliable.



I always start with Kayak ( http://www.kayak.com ). It鈥檚 a search website that checks various other websites, such as Orbitz and CheapTickets. It will list all of the airlines that fly the route you want, with the exception of some discount airlines (most notably Southwest). My typical process when looking for a flight is the following:



1. I look on Kayak to see what airlines fly the route I want, and which airlines are reasonably priced. I write down the top 3 or 4 airlines.



2. I check the airline websites from my Kayak search. For example, if the cheapest airline Kayak gave me was Continental, I鈥檇 go on the Continental website to see the fare.



3. I take a look at the discount airlines that fly that route and compare their price. I鈥檇 be sure to check Southwest鈥檚 prices, as their fares don鈥檛 show up on Kayak.



4. Keep an eye on the flight prices until I see them go down, or unless they seem low enough already.



I have never seen a ticket be cheaper on a search website than on the airline鈥檚 website. The advantage to using a search website like Orbitz/Travelocity/Priceline/Expedia is that you can combine airlines to give you the most convenient itinerary possible. However, this will cost you more, too. I鈥檝e only purchased from Orbitz once, and that was because I waited until the last minute to buy an international flight during Christmas. Needless to say, I paid quite a bit and didn鈥檛 have very many options.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment